APM Terminals’ company policy, principles and standards require proactive efforts to design, develop, operate and maintain the most environmentally sensitive and advanced facilities possible. It is a responsibility we take very seriously as corporate citizens, and as members of every community in which our world-wide network of terminals and offices conduct business.
At Port Pipavav, a number of initiatives have been undertaken in keeping with the parent company’s leadership. Our ambition is to achieve “Eco Efficiency Beyond Compliance”. The environment initiatives are aimed at reducing diesel dependency, developing low carbon solutions, exploring carbon neutral options and improve sharing and global engagement.
Ongoing environment initiatives at the port are:
- Mangroves plantation – 300 hectares in SUrat, 260 hectares in Bharuch and 60 hecatres withthin the port premises
- Environment Friendly Coal yard with wind and water curtains to prevent coal dust pollution
- Port Greening project - 7000 saplings planted so far
- Organic manure from waste
- Rain water harvesting
- Water Recycling
- Sewage Treatment plant
- Gottwald crane electrification
- 10 Eco RTGs with hybrid engines that consume 33% less fuel
- Lube Oil recycling
- Idle run time electrification for tugs
- Solar powered lights within custome bonded area
- Light sensors in offices to switch off when not in use
Port Pipavav complies with guidelines set by the Pollution Control Board through the Water Cess Act, Air Act, Noise Pollution Rules, Hazardous wastes rules and Coastal Regulation Zone Act.